bloom v. 1. to shine with health. 2. to mature into achievement of one's potential. 3. to flourish in youthful beauty, freshness, or excellence. 4. to appear or occur unexpectedly or in remarkable quantity or degree.


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick meat -free meal: gardein sweet & tangy BBQ wings

I've never been a big fan of artificial meat substitutes. To me, many of them taste like they have a ton of chemical additives and the flavor that I'm left with is very....well, artificial.

So when I'm in the grocery store, I try to stay away from the artificial meat substitutes. However, a few weeks ago I was starving & shopping at the same time - which is the #1 rule of things not to do while food shopping. I'm aware of that. Needless to say, everything in the entire grocery store that day looked delicious.

While I was in the frozen food section, I started daydreaming about chicken wings. I began to crave them. I wanted them immediately and I was prepared to do everything in my power to get them. Then I came to my senses and headed straight for the vegetarian category of the frozen foods. That's where I found these gardein-brand sweet and tangy barbecue wings...and I'm so glad I did! Admittedly, they sat in my freezer at home for a few weeks. Although I was salivating over them the day I bought the wings, I wasn't overly excited about the idea of indulging in artificial meat substitute so I put them in the freezer & made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself when I got home.

This past Saturday night we had a really bad thunder storm which meant the kids and I were stuck in the house.  Earlier that evening I had made chicken nuggets for the kids and saw the package of BBQ wings in the freezer so I decided to cook them. Since I didn't think I was going to like them, I only made two wings.

As soon as I tasted the first bite I immediately wished I had cooked the entire bag, but thankfully I only made two because the electric went out (for four hours!) shortly after I started cooking. However, there was just enough heat remaining on the stove for me to finish them...and they were DELICIOUS!  Exceptional! It was the first time I've ever truly enjoyed an artificial meat substitute. The wings were so good that my 6 year old son loved them too. Not at all spicy, just perfectly balanced with sweet & tangy.

These wings are a fantastic, quick meat-free option for meat and veggie lovers alike. They are made with a savory blend of beans, wheat, grains and veggies.

For more information, visit their website: www.gardein.com

I'm going to check it out now to see what other kind of deliciousness they have for me.  Can't wait to see what kind of new goodies I come home with after my next visit to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment